Roanoke Gas Company reminds customers that heating your home with natural gas is a safe and reliable way to stay warm throughout the winter. However, it’s important to ensure your natural gas heaters and appliances are working properly and that you take necessary precautions during a power outage to prevent the creation of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that can build up to dangerous levels in unventilated areas. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, and dizziness. If left untreated, carbon monoxide exposure can lead to serious illness or even death.

During and after severe weather, people are at an increased risk for exposure to carbon monoxide because of the use of alternative heat, light, and cooking sources inside their homes.

What can you do to prevent carbon monoxide exposure?

  • Install a battery powered carbon monoxide detector
  • Never use a natural gas range to heat your home
  • Check and maintain proper ventilation of your appliances and chimney flues
  • Never use the following items indoors:
    • Gas Generators
    • Camp Stoves
    • Charcoal or Propane Grills
    • Outdoor Propane Heaters
    • Propane Lanterns
    • Any equipment not rated for indoor use

If you experience the symptoms mentioned above or suspect the presence of carbon monoxide, immediately leave the house or building, then call 911 or local emergency responders, if necessary, to request medical assistance. Emergency responders are trained to identify and treat the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as assess the source of the carbon monoxide.