Protect Yourself from the Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. It can only be detected by instrumentation. When breathed in, carbon monoxide prevents blood from absorbing oxygen. This interferes with the heart and brain’s ability to function properly which can escalate quickly from mild reactions to severe illness, even death.

Carbon monoxide occurs as a result of incomplete combustion of organic materials, including fossil fuels like natural gas. It is often found in the exhaust fumes of motor vehicles and malfunctioning heating equipment. All natural gas users are encouraged to keep at least one carbon monoxide detector in their home or facility to readily detect this deadly hazard. Make sure the detector meets the current UL standard and is installed and operated to the manufacturer’s requirements.

Ways to prevent CO poisoning include:

  • Have heating equipment and other appliances inspected by certified technicians on a regular basis.
  • Do not use misuse appliances, such as using an oven or range for space heating.
  • Keep the area around gas appliances clear or clutter
  • If you suspect a carbon monoxide issue in your home, notify Roanoke Gas at (540) 777-0623 or call 911.

If you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical attention immediately.