Roanoke Gas Company is currently seeking a GIS Technician. This position will utilize work orders and field drawings from renewals, retirements, and new construction to draw data into the Company’s geographic information system (GIS) as well as enter associated feature data into the database.
Essential job duties include:
- Drawing mapping updates into GIS from Work Orders for all types of gas infrastructure such as Gas Mains, Services, Regulators, Valves, and other features.
- Data entry for associated gas infrastructure from Work Orders; such as pipe size, material, pressure, work order number, manufacturer, model, and others.
- Maintaining relationship with ECIS data; Mapping of new premise locations in GIS.
- Verifying and correcting any inconsistences found in the GIS while doing mapping updates. Research archived work orders, service orders, and field drawings to identify and correct inconsistences.
- Fixing errors in data due to newly GPS’d features such as critical valves and cathodic protection test stations.
- Standardizing mapping of gas infrastructure such as Town Boarder Stations, Regulator Stations, Telemeter Stations, and Odorizers.
- QA/QC for all mapping and database entry into GIS.
- Mapping of gas leaks on system map.
- Creation of gas systems, pressure systems, emergency isolation systems, and cathodic protection systems.
- Updating base data from outside sources for parcels, roads, address points, aerials, and other data as need.
- Updating data for locators, field personnel and outside agencies as needed.
- Creation of system maps and map books as needed for gas infrastructure such as Regulator Stations and Critical Valves
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Basic computer software skills (Windows, MS Office, Outlook)
- Able to create and manipulate map and database features in ESRI software
- Organized, detail oriented, excellent listening and problem solving skills and ability to follow procedures and standards
- Ability to maintain a good driving record (required to drive Company vehicle on regular basis)
- Must maintain the ability to pass DOT drug screening
Required Education and/or Experience:
- 3-5 years prior experience with mapping software preferably ESRI products
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS or related field strongly preferred
Full time position with excellent benefit package including medical, dental, health club reimbursement and 401K with match.
Roanoke Gas Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Affirmative Action employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, age, national origin, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability or other legally protected classifications.Apply Now