Roanoke Gas Company is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Utility Technician. Primary duties include performing field operations including manual labor and other duties necessary to accomplish the installation, repair, and maintenance of natural gas service and distribution facilities.
The essential job duties include:
- Working together with crew members to install, repair and maintain underground gas system
- Preparing job sites to ensure tools and materials are ready
- Safely operating equipment and tools including: pavement saw, roller, tamper, backhoe, mini excavator, vibratory plow, air compressor, shovel, sledge hammer, jack hammer and digging bar.
- Excavating, digging, shoring, repairing leaks, testing and coating pipes
- Paving street cuts and repairing road surfaces using prepared asphalt mixes
- Cleaning debris, trash and hazardous materials from construction site
- Driving dump truck and other Company vehicles
- Ensuring Company property, including vehicles, are maintained and cleaned properly
- Loading and unloading equipment from trucks
- Landscaping and general restoration of disturbed areas
Required Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License with an insurable record. Class A CDL or ability to obtain
- Ability to pass pre-employment DOT physical and drug screen
- Previous experience operating hand tools, power tools, and other equipment preferred
- Previous general construction and/or labor related, outside work preferred
- Ability to smell odorant used to detect gas leaks
- Ability to work nights, holidays, and on-call emergencies. Must reside in Roanoke Gas Company’s service territory for emergency call-outs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Lifting heavy objects, walking and standing for long periods of time and performing strenuous physical labor in extreme weather conditions
- Wearing long sleeve fire resistant shirts and pants
- Lifting, pushing, pulling or carrying objects; using abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue
- The ability to quickly move arms and legs
- Requires excellent stamina
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs individually, or team lift for heavier weights
We offer excellent compensation and industry-leading benefits, such as health, dental, vision, immediate paid time off, and a Company-matched 401(k).
Roanoke Gas Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Affirmative Action employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, age, national origin, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability or other legally protected classifications.